August 16 – 19, 2013, Omega Institute, Rhinebeck NY. “Living Well with Cancer” featuring Jeremy Geffen, MD, FACP, Sharon Bray, Carolyn Scott Kortge, Kathy LaTour, Scott Burton, Sandra Gilbert & Robert “Skip Backus. For more information:
* * *
I. WRITING THROUGH CANCER: Expressive Writing Workshops
Sharon is a masterful teacher and guide.. she creates a space of safety, creativity, and healing…Those who write with Sharon begin to make positive meaning out of the difficult journey of cancer, and they also have the opportunity to discover and share a new voice–a voice of strength and story that will be honored in its sharing. It has been such a gift for me to participate in this life-changing group.
–Member, Stanford Cancer Center writing group
- WRITING THROUGH CANCER, online: Sharon’s blog featuring weekly writing prompts for those suffering from cancer, loss, hardship or any debilitating illness. loss or life’s challenges–available online. To read and/or subscribe: www.writingthroughcancer.wordpress.com. If you need inspiration to write from your difficult life experience, you’ll find it here.
- WRITING THROUGH CANCER, STANFORD CANCER CENTER, Palo Alto, CA: Ongoing. A writing workshop for men & women living with cancer, offered the first Wednesday September through June, 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. Stanford Cancer Center, Stanford Medical Center, Palo Alto CA. Contact Holly Gautier, RN, Director at 650-723-4268 for information. email@example.com
- WHEN WORDS HEAL: Writing Through Cancer: SCRIPPS CANCER CENTER, La Jolla, CA: A ten week writing series at Scripps Cancer Center, Scripps Clinic & Scripps Green Hospital, for men and women living with cancer. New Series begins Feb. 25, 2013. 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA. Contact Tom Friedman, LCSW at Friedman.Tom@scrippshealth.org.
- WRITING THROUGH CANCER: UCSD MOORES CANCER CENTER. A ten week writing program for men and women living with cancer. New Series begins March 1, 2013. 9:30 – 12 n. UCSD Moores, La Jolla, CA. For more information, contact Michelle Bell, firstname.lastname@example.org.
…Sharon Bray is magnificent…As a survivor, she understands…thoughts and emotions… in a way others cannot…The Writing Through Cancer program was as important to my personal healing process as any chemotherapy, radiation or medication I received.
–Participant, Scripps Green Cancer Center
II. CREATIVE WRITING WORKSHOPS & CLASSES
Sharon is an extraordinary teacher, whose gift is to create a setting where anyone, regardless of writing experience or talent, can feel comfortable in allowing his or her personal emotions to find expression in words. This is an unusual gift [and] makes each class a remarkable meeting, where the participants are often surprised at where their writing takes them, the experiences it brings up from memory, the feelings they consequently re-discover.These workshops change the participants. I know, because I am changed myself, and in ways that make me more fully engaged as a person, with others.
–Participant, The Writers’ Workshop at Stanford Medical School
UCLA Extension Writers’ Program, www.uclaextension.edu/writers
- INTERMEDIATE CREATIVE NONFICTION, 10 weeks, Begins Jan. 5, 2013, 10 weeks. Contact www.uclaextension.edu/writers for more information and to register.
- ADVANCED CREATIVE NONFICTION, 10 weeks, beginning April 17, 2013. Contact: http://www.uclaextension.edu/writers for information and to register.
The Writers’ Workshop at Stanford Medical School, Palo Alto, CA. Open to faculty, students, staff, and alumni of Stanford Medical School.
- TUESDAY EVENING WRITERS’ WORKSHOP, first Tuesdays, 7 – 9:30 p.m.
- ALL DAY WRITING WORKSHOP: April 27, 2013. Email: email@example.com
Jewish Family Services, San Diego, CA,
- WRITING AS A SPIRITUAL PRACTICE, Jewish Family Services, 8804 Balboa Avenue, San Diego, CA. Four sessions, April 10 & 24, March 8 & 22, from 2 until 4 p.m. For more information, contact Rabbi Aliza Berk : (858) 637-3072.
Sharon Bray is an extraordinary instructor who really knows her subject and makes the effort to know her students and their capabilities.
–Student, UCLA ext. Writer’s Program
III. PROFESSIONAL & PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT–Writing & Healing
- LIVING WELL WITH CANCER,, Omega Institute for Holistic Studies, Rhinebeck, NY. August 16 – 18, 2013, Join Jeremy Geffen, MD, Sharon and other outstanding workshop leaders for this weekend conference. For more information, contact www.eOmega.org or call 845 266.4444 .
- WRITING AS A HEALING MINISTRY, Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley, CA. A week long summer course exploring the healing power of writing– for one’s self and in service to others–and features a blend of didactic and experiential methods. The inherent spiritual discipline of writing and leading writing groups for others is also examined. Next offering: JULY 2014. Contact PSR at 510-849-8268 for more information or email Laurie Isenberg, Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- WRITING AS A WAY OF HEALING, Transformative Language Arts Network, Online. Through online interaction, readings & reflective writing exercises, we explore the healing power of writing, whether you wish to write from personal difficulties or help others, who have been silenced by pain, trauma or circumstance, reclaim their voices. Next series TBD. http://www.tlanetwork.org/online-courses/
Sharon is a gifted instructor and guide. She brings knowledge, experience and sacredness to this process.
–Participant, ”Writing as a Healing Ministry”