ONGOING WORKSHOPS/CLASSES WITH SHARON
I. WRITING THROUGH CANCER: Expressive Writing Workshops
Sharon is a masterful teacher and guide.. she creates a space of safety, creativity, and healing…Those who write with Sharon begin to make positive meaning out of the difficult journey of cancer, and they also have the opportunity to discover and share a new voice–a voice of strength and story that will be honored in its sharing. It has been such a gift for me to participate in this life-changing group.
Quite simply, it has changed my life.
–Members, Stanford Cancer Center writing group
- WRITING THROUGH CANCER, online: Sharon’s blog featuring weekly writing prompts for those suffering from cancer, loss, hardship or any debilitating illness. loss or life’s challenges–available online. To read and/or subscribe, visit www.writingthroughcancer.wordpress.com. If you need inspiration to write from any difficult life experience, you’ll find it here.
- WHEN WORDS HEAL: Writing Through Cancer: SCRIPPS CANCER CENTER, La Jolla, CA: A six week expressivewriting series at Scripps Cancer Center, Scripps Clinic & Scripps Green Hospital, for men and women living with cancer. New Series begins September 22, 2014. 9:30 – 12 n. North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA. Contact Tom Friedman, LCSW at Friedman.Tom@scrippshealth.org.
- WRITING THROUGH CANCER: UCSD MOORES CANCER CENTER. A ten week expressive writing program for men and women living with cancer. New Series begins September 19, 2014. 9:30 – 11:30. UCSD Moores, La Jolla, CA. For more information, contact Michelle Bell, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- WRITING YOUR CANCER JOURNEY, STANFORD CANCER CENTER, Palo Alto, CA: Previously titled “Writing Through Cancer,” an expressive writing program begun and led by Sharon from 2004 – Fall, 2013. Offered monthly, first Wednesday and led by Ali Zidel Meyers., MSW, former member of the group and cancer survivor. 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. Hoover Pavilion, 211 Quarry Road., 2nd floor, Palo Alto CA. Contact Holly Gautier, RN, Director at 650-723-4268 for information. email@example.com
…Sharon Bray is magnificent…As a survivor, she understands…thoughts and emotions… in a way others cannot…The Writing Through Cancer program was as important to my personal healing process as any chemotherapy, radiation or medication I received.
–Participant, Scripps Green Cancer Center
II. CREATIVE WRITING WORKSHOPS & CLASSES
Sharon is an extraordinary teacher, whose gift is to create a setting where anyone, regardless of writing experience or talent, can feel comfortable in allowing his or her personal emotions to find expression in words. This is an unusual gift [and] makes each class a remarkable meeting, where the participants are often surprised at where their writing takes them, the experiences it brings up from memory, the feelings they consequently re-discover.These workshops change the participants. I know, because I am changed myself, and in ways that make me more fully engaged as a person, with others.
–Participant, The Writers’ Workshop at Stanford Medical School
UCLA Extension Writers’ Program, www.uclaextension.edu/writers
- TRANSFORMATIONAL WRITING: Writing to Heal, Turning Life into Art , online– 10 weeks. New session begins July 9th, 2014. Contact UCLA extension for information & registration.
- ESSENTIAL BEGINNINGS IN NONFICTION, 6 weeks, Begins April 23 – June 3, 2014. Contact UCLA extension for information and registration
The Writers’ Workshop at Stanford Medical School, Palo Alto, CA. Part of the Literature & Humanities program directed by Audrey Shafter, M.D., and open to faculty, students, staff, and alumni of Stanford Medical School
- 2013-2014 ALL DAY WRITING WORKSHOPS: Nov 9, 2013; Feb 1, 2014; April 26, 2014; 8:45 – 4:40 p.m., Email: to register: Contact: Jacqueline M Genovese, firstname.lastname@example.org. Enrollment limited to faculty, staff, alumni & students of the Stanford Medical School.
Jewish Family Services, San Diego
- FOUR CUPS OF FREEDOM, a writing workshop inspired by Passover themes: JFS-Turk Family Center • 8804 Balboa Ave. • San Diego 92123. Participants write together in an atmosphere of safety and support, exploring the insights of their emotional, intellectual, and spiritual lives. Facilitated by Sharon Bray, ED.D. and Rabbi Aliza Berk, LMFT. In session. Ends April 10, 2014.
Sharon Bray is an extraordinary instructor who really knows her subject and makes the effort to know her students and their capabilities.
–Student, UCLA ext. Writer’s Program
III. PROFESSIONAL & PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT–Writing & Healing
- WRITING AS A HEALING MINISTRY–Self and Others. Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley, CA. A week long summer course exploring the healing power of writing– for one’s self and in service to others–and features a blend of didactic and experiential methods. The inherent spiritual discipline of writing and leading writing groups for others is also examined. Begins: JULY 21 – 25, 2014. Contact PSR www.psr.edu/summer session to register or Laurie Isenberg, Director, at email@example.com for information.
Sharon is a gifted instructor and guide. She brings knowledge, experience and sacredness to this process.
–Participant, ”Writing as a Healing Ministry”